Here is a mud map prepared by an ArchSoc volunteer. This map was created using careful observations of the landscape and a pacing unit (measuring distances with the length of one’s stride). The hand-drawn map was then animated, as shown below.
Compare to this google satellite photograph:
As we can see, the scale is a little out, however, the mud map captures all significant features of the site. This comes in handy when familiarising oneself with the site and when internet access is limited.
Here are some of the photographs of the site, a greater selection can be found here. The platform is approximately 130m long, 10m wide and 90cm high, with a 30º slope at either end.
One of the things we were interested in was capturing the contemporary significances of the site and the ways in which contemporary people use and change the landscape.
Since the station closed, the platform was used by the community as a stage for public events. As far as the modern material culture can reveal, the site is predominantly used by people for exercise, picnics and to write graffiti.
Help us to answer our survey questions! We are really interested in what people have to say about this site. If you have any comments, suggestions or questions, please leave them below. We will keep updating this page as we process our data.
Thanks to everyone that came down and enjoyed the day today, it was very successful (and a lot of fun!). We are in the process of compiling the data and will begin writing up our report during the week. We will post all final products to this page.
For the last few hours ArchSoc has been recording the remains of the Old Plympton Railway Station. We have been recording features that can inform us of past uses and contemporary significances of the site.
We have had a lot of public interest in the survey with many archaeology and rail enthusiasts coming down to find out about what we’re up to. Many people that remember using the platform for community events have also come along to meet us and share their stories. We will be here until 4pm so if you can make it, come on down!
The historical background of the Old Plympton Railway Station has been prepared by Flinders archaeology student, Angeline Buckler:
The historic Plympton Railway Station was one of the platforms along the North Terrace Line that originally connected the City of Glenelg to the City of Adelaide. The South Terrace Line is now known as the Adelaide to Glenelg tram-line; the North Terrace Line was abandoned in 1929 and the rails have since been removed. During this time period there were two Plympton railway stations, one on each line. The station in this report was most often referred to as the North Plympton Train Station as it was located on the North Terrace Line.
While the South Terrace Line, owned and operated by the Adelaide Suburban Railway Company, had been operating since 1871; the North Terrace Line did not commence operations until May of 1880 (Blake 2010:77). The new line was initiated by the Holdfast Bay Railway Company who opened the line in competition with Suburban Company hoping to draw business from the other line by offering a shorter trip and more efficient service (South Australian Advertiser 1880:1-2). After approximately 12 months it became evident that despite the popularity of the trains there was not enough business to support two separate companies and in 1881 the two companies merged to become the Glenelg Railway Company. The Glenelg Railway Company took over management of both the South and North Terrace lines. Continue reading “Old Plympton Railway Station: Historical Background”→